|Salvation Army - Canned Food Drive - Just the Beans and Corn!|
I actually wrote this article to publish over at www.thegoodstuffguide.com in a few weeks -but also wanted to put it here, because it's something I want to remember on this amazing journey of my life!
I called it ImpACT Chics. (Our church as an ImpACT initiative to reach out into our community each month, thus my inspiration)
To get started, I simply invited several of my daughters friends and their moms, to join the group. (Our church also has a database of groups, so we've been able to make some new friends through that too!)
Here's how it works.
- I find one project a month that a group of moms and daughters (approx ages 7-12) can do together.
- I then let the moms know what the month project is (either via group I set up on facebook, or via email for those not connected to facebook), so they can let me know if they are coming or not!
- Then we show up one time a month and volunteer together - usually on a Saturday morning, but not always, depending on the event.
- make blankets for Project Linus
- Help at Convoy of Hope's weekly Hands of Hope volunteer opportunity (sorted food)
- Decorated cookies and took them to police/fire (in honor of 9.11)
- Painted some rooms at local organization called Community Partnership, which has a variety of programs in our community that seek to strengthen communities, families, individuals
- Helped be a part of Friends Against Hunger's event to pack 1 million meals in 1 weekend (some meals even went to Hurricane Sandy victims)
- Sorted canned food for Salvation Army's huge canned food drive for the holidays
- Helped pack up bags of food for Tiger Totes program which sends home meals for the weekend to 150 kids our school system
- and next month, we are making a craft at my home then taking them all over the local nursing and giving them to residents there for valentine's day
- It keeps me volunteering on a regular basis
- I love spending time with my girls. And I feel like I'm instilling in them the value of compassion.
- I love spending time with their friends and other moms who share same values that we do
- When we all come together, it really feels like we make an impact in those couple of hours we are together
- We are supporting great organizations who are already doing some amazing things in our community
- It's just fun! Especially shared with others!
|Helping Friends Against Hugner Pack 1 Million Meals in a Weekend|