Saturday, December 17, 2011

Merry Xmas!

I know people will read this and disagree with me. That's okay, we don't have to agree, but I am going to get on my soapbox for a minute.  I use to care about the whole Xmas thing and/or Happy Holidays issue. I don't anymore. I choose to write and say Merry Christmas, and probably always will. But really, I truly don't care what other Christmas greetings people say.

You see, I've been discovering, in the bigger picture of life - THIS 'issue' is a minor issue. And honestly, I wonder if God really even cares what Christmas greetings people share. When I think of God's heart - His heart for those living in poverty (note from our pastor's message last week - did you know poverty is mentioned 2,100 in the bible - I think THIS is an issue God cares deeply about!), when I think of all the pain, brokenness, disease, and spiritual emptiness in this world - I think THESE are issues close to God's heart. And as a Christian, I believe I should be more concerned about these bigger issues and not waste my energy being concerned over minor issues, like how we say or don't say Merry Christmas!  Am I loving people? Am I doing what I can with my gifts, my time, my money, to be compassionate and giving in this world? These are the things I need to worry about.

Reality Check.

Am I wishing others a Merry Christmas while looking like the moms in this photo? I like to give the excuse that I don't shop Black Friday - that's not me in those photos - and yet I look under our Christmas tree right now, at all the presents ready to open - and I think about how little I've seemed to give to those hurting this season - and I'm silenced. Sure, this season, we've bought some toys and food for those living in poverty in our community - and I've picked up an application to fill out to begin volunteering again in our community after the first of the year - but within me lies this unsettled-ness. This awakening. I'm not sure where it will lead, but I'm trying to not ignore it. To love better, to care more, and to put actions to my intentions. Maybe that's what this next year needs to be about for me, putting actions to my intentions. (Oh, where did that come from? I like it!)

ps - Did you know the Greek symbol chi (X) means "Christ"? And according to Wikipedia, as early as 1634 you could find Christianity referred to as Xianity?

pss - Thanks to Tommy Sparger and North Point Church for causing me to pause and think about bigger issues of God's heart!

No comments: