Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Commitments

Lots of random thoughts dancing around my head tonight. I thought perhaps taking a moment to write some of them down might help clear my head and let me sleep more soundly when my head hits the pillow tonight. (Wishful thinking, I know!)

We've moved and started over five times. The first four times seemed so much easier than this last time has been. I know it's been 3.5 years since we've been here now, but I'm just now feeling like really investing in the community. I try to analyze why it's been this way, but really I wonder if they 'why' really matters. What matters is the 'now'.  And now, I'm wanting to take action, to be more involved. Not in an over-committed sense, but in the sense that I am in a position in life where I can be involved.  Here are some of the areas I am looking forward to committing to in the coming months.

First, deep relationships. Taking time to actually have face to face interactions with some of the beautiful people God has brought into my life. Less computer time, more real face time! Going out, with friends.

Second, I'm feeling this desire slowly rekindling to get back into social work. I tread back into these waters lightly, as I know how emotionally demanding careers in social work truly are. And yet, within me lies a passion to be available to others, and offer them opportunities to get past some of the pain and hard circumstances that are keeping them stuck. And along with that, I really want to invest in children...because I truly believe that preventing brokenness and empowering children with life skills...these are the things that will make the biggest difference in the community.  I have a deep respect for the mission of Isabel's House and look forward to volunteering there in the (hopefully) very near future. Side Note: I'd be there tomorrow, but the application process to volunteer is more in-depth than many regular jobs - understandably. 

Third, we have really enjoyed our new church, and while we've led a small group in our home and we've helped at 2nd Saturday events, we have yet to jump on board in actually helping at the church campus. So, with the start-up of a third campus, we have decided this is a good time for us to jump back into ministry. God is doing some awesome things through North Point Church, and we want to use our gifts to be a part of it!

Oh, the list of things in my head is much longer than this, but it does feel good to write down some of  these plans/desires for the coming months.

No comments: