Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Heard Around the Baker House

First, I won Jill Savage's newest book, No More Perfect Moms from 152 Insights to My Soul!! How exciting is that!?! This book just came out in January and I've been wanting to get a copy and just hadn't yet. The first book I read by her, Professionalizing Motherhood, was (and has been) a huge encouragement to me on this journey of motherhood, especially those early years!

So, when I got the book in the mail, I told the girls about it 'cuz I was excited. And they are like, what does that mean?! (I guess it would sound a bit strange to them). And I said something like, "Well, it means that moms can make mistakes and that it's okay, we don't have to be perfect." To which my sweet Sarah responds non-nonchalantly, "Well of course moms make mistakes, sometimes they make LOTS of mistakes!"

So for anyone who reads my blog and ever thinks I have it all together...just talk to my children...I am far from perfect and make lots of mistakes! This is a journey and I don't have it all figured out. 

Conversation #2 (I overheard):
Morgan: Sarah pick 3, no pick 4, jobs you want to do when you get older.
Sarah: Teacher, Counselor, Doctor, Stay-At-Home Mom
M: A Stay-at-Home-Mom is NOT a real job.
S: Yes, it is.
S: What are your 4?
M: Teacher, lifeguard, Artist, Marine Biologist
S: ok
M: Well do you want to know why I want to be a Marine Biologist?
S: Why?
M: So I can swim with dolphins all the time!

So I told Mike about this conversation and so he tells them later, "You think being a Stay-at-home-mom is not a real job?  I think it's the hardest job in the whole world! And you know what else - do you know how much money mom has saved our family over the years by being here to take care of you and not having to pay for childcare?"

I love his support of our decision for me to stay home with the girls! I hope one day the girls will value it too. I know if I had to do it again, I'd do the same thing!

No comments: