Thursday, September 27, 2012

Mockingjay and Revolution

For some reason, I just wanted to type the ending to Mockingjay in my blog. I hope when my kids are older they will read this series. I admire the strength of Katniss. Although she must live with extreme pain from the choices of others, she finds a way to mingle in the joys and create a life that includes happiness too.
My children, who don't know they play on a graveyard. Peeta says it will be okay. We have each other. And the book. We can make them understand in a way that will make them braver. But one day I'll have to explain about my nightmares. Why they came. Why they won't ever really go away.   
I'll tell them how I survive it. I'll tell them that on bad mornings, it feels impossible to take pleasure in anything because I'm afraid it could be taken away. That's when I make a list in my head of every act of goodness I've seen someone do. It's like a game. Repetitive. Even a little tedious after more that twenty years. But there are much worse games to play. 
And I also have to say that I am really NOT a TV watcher. In general, I don't follow shows, I like very few sitcoms, and dislike most reality tv shows. And I'm okay with that. I followed ER for years...when we first moved to Missouri, two other couples moved there at the same time, and moved in next door and across the street, so we had a standing weekly ER meetup. Great memories.  Then I followed Alias...it got kinda weird, but I still followed it til the end.  Now last week, along came Revolution. The show has captivated me - I find it intriguing to think about how much we have become dependent on technology and electricity and energy.  The world survived for centuries without these things - and yet I wonder, would we be able to survive in a world now without it? I think of all the things I'd have to give up, all the things I'd have to learn to do -- if the power went out around the whole world.

So, if you call me Monday at 9pm - I won't answer - I'm snuggled on the couch with Mike, the dog and lost in another world on Revolution!

No comments: