Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summertime Down the Road

And while my summertime is filled with sweet messy basements, I can't help but feel a bit of sadness for those down the road. Wishing there was so much more I could do for 'my neighbors' in Joplin. Their summer plans look very different than mine...and I grieve for them. 

Where would you go...if you couldn't go home...

I appreciate this doctor taking the time to write down his first hand account of living through this nightmare at the hospital. You can read about it by clicking here.

And this is the saddest story I've read out of Joplin (and there are many), but I think I will pray for this dear woman for the rest of my life, because for the life of me I don't know how I could go on if I were in her shoes.

Here is Ms. Edie Howard's story: Sunday afternoon dinner at McCallisters with her husband, toddler and preschooler, she heads off to work in one car, they head away in the other car.  Moments later, her family is taking refuge in Home Depot as a tornado barrels down on them.  Later, her precious children are found in her husband's arms in the rubble of the Home Depot store.  And she asks, "why wasn't I with them?"

May I never forget that 
every moment is a precious gift 
not to be taken for granted. 

No comments: