Thursday, November 25, 2010

Our Thanksgiving Day



 Being that on Thanksgiving Day my heart is both abundantly full and tenderly aching at the same time, I've come to appreciate the peacefulness and laid-back-ness to our Thanksgiving Days.  Here are a few moments I wanted to remember about today.

We slept in a bit, then enjoyed cinnamon rolls while watching the Macy's Day Parade on TV, in our pjs, as the sleet and freezing rain fell outside.

The girls also enjoyed a scavenger hunt around the house.  As soon as they were done, Sarah wanted to make a scavenger hunt for us.  Then Morgan made one. We enjoyed finding their treasures.

For the past several years, the girls have made all the dishes for our thanksgiving meal. Mike takes care of the turkey, because frankly, I don't touch raw turkeys. I assist the girls as needed, but they are getting so grown up and are doing a great job reading recipes and making yummy dishes. 

As Sarah, Mike and I worked on a puzzle, Morgan insisted on setting and decorating the Thanksgiving table all by herself. Didn't she do a beautiful job? Candles, leaves, fancy glasses. 

As we sat down and filled our plates, I looked over at Sarah and she just had a look of pure happiness on her face - smiling at the fancy table before her.  It was precious. 

The girls insisted on toasting our sparkling grape juice...for the many things we have to be thankful for.  They both wanted to say our Thanksgiving grace today. And they both did.

I got a nap in this afternoon, Mike got to watch some football, and then had 2 desserts! Then off to our annual tradition of ice skating downtown!
We returned home, had a cozy fire, and ended the day watching Miracle on 34th Street together.  Relaxing. Perfect.

I also enjoyed the phone calls that connected me to my family whom I could not be with in person today.

No comments: