Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Power of Words

So in the silence of my home this morning I am touched by the words of stranger. I received a card from her today. Her name is Bridgette and I've never met her. But two months ago I sent her a card. You see 3 years ago her son was murdered. And she is grieving still. A part of her grieves every anniversary of her son's death.

Last Fall, through a national organization called Parents of Murdered Children, I began writing 'anniversary' letters to strangers, hoping and praying that that my words would let them know they are not alone. Their loved ones are not forgotten. Their grief is real. There is something so very powerful in words. And as much as I love technology, there is something very powerful about a handwritten note. So every month I write to 25 strangers and whisper a prayer that the God of this universe may touch them in the very depth of their soul and bring them to the next place of healing on this journey. Bridgette wrote "Thank you so much for your tender words and kind thoughts, during this time. I thought this month would be so hard to deal with, but through the prayers of people and God's wonderful mercy I made it through!"

I am thankful that we are not alone in this world, we have each other, and we have a God who is as near as our whispers. And we have words to help us express it all.

No comments: