Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

As with every fourth of July, my heart is filled with gratitude for all the freedoms I have. For those who have served and fought and even died so that I can enjoy these freedoms, I am grateful.

Yet today, I found my heart celebrating for even another reason. This morning we attended the church where Mike and I met, fell in love, and began our marriage. As I sat in service, my heart was filled with gratitude for the foundation this church gave me during my teen and young adult years. I don't recognize much about the growing building; and while I got to enjoy a few small reunions, I don't recognize most of the people there either. But within those walls and beyond those walls, are adults who took the time to invest in youth back when I was a youth. People who took the time to love me and guide me towards God's truth. Friendships that helped me stay on a 'right' path and not go astray during those turbulent teen/young adult years. Some friends I've stayed in touch with, others I've lost touch with and a few I've reconnected with through facebook. I'm thankful for all of them and the threads of their lives that have weaved into the fabric of my life over the years.

“Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right” - Abraham Lincoln

No comments: