Thursday, March 5, 2009

Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith

I just finished reading this book by Barbara Brown Taylor. Lately, I've been drawn to reading other's memoirs. Below are some quotes/thoughts I enjoyed from her book about her journey in life.
I wanted to recover the kind of faith that has nothing to do with being sure of what I believe and everything to do with trusting God to catch me though I am not sure of anything.

God uses whatever is usable in life, both to speak and to act, and those who insist on fireworks in the sky, may miss the electricity that sparks the human heart.

On raising and releasing a baby bird "That's the whole point isn't it...to take care of him until he could take care of himself, but the intimacy that developed between the two of us made the releasing hard to do." Oh, how I get that as a mother!

I had been given my identity for so long, that I hardly knew how to start making one of my own.

Worship has become too tame and those who come have stopped bringing their own fire.

I saw my humanity was all I had left to work with. I saw in fact that it was all I had ever had to work with, though it had never seemed enough.

Caring for troubled people always took precedence over enjoying delightful people, and the line of troubled people never ended.

But behind that answer lay truths harder to confess.

What made you think that hurrying would help you find your way?

My quest to serve God in the church had exhausted my spiritual savings. My dedication to being good had cost me a fortune in being whole. My desire to do all things well had kept me from doing the one thing within my power to do, which was to discover what it meant to be truly human!


No comments: