Friday, February 14, 2020

Birthday Reflections

Birthdays.

A day to pause.

A day filled with gratitude for the opportunity I had to take another trip around the sun. 46 full trips around the sun.

A reminder that this life is fleeting. And while I hope I have another 46 trips around the sun, the truth is, in this uncertain world, it is possible I may not even make a full trip around to 47. To some this may sound morbid. To me, it helps me live my life deeper, fuller, more honestly. It helps me live with deep integrity, deep love, deep feelings (which I don't always appreciate!), and deep joy. (I wanted to type 'deep purpose' there, but I'm in a season of wondering what my 'purpose' is.)

It is a reminder to enjoy this life I've been given. To enjoy the warmth of the sun on a winter day. To smell the roses on our counter. To savor that bite of chocolate (especially since come Sunday I'm giving up sugar for 3 weeks!). To have conversations. To take time for conversations. To plan getaways now. And to take the getaway. To listen to the laughter around me. To create laughter (although I tend to live so seriously, I'm not always the best at this one.) To give myself permission to binge watch Downton Abbey.

 And it's filled with so many beautiful people - some family, some friends, some friends who feel like family. And on my birthday, its easy to pause, and be thankful for all the wonderful people I get to share the journey with.

So today, I won't be sad for how 'old' I've become. Rather, I choose to be grateful for all the life I've been able to live!

No comments: