Saturday, January 23, 2010

Passion: Those things that catch your heart

So I've been thinking a lot lately about passion...Webster defines it as, "intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction." I had already been thinking about it lately and then we happen to catch the movie 'Rudy' on tv one evening this week. Talk about passion... wow, Rudy, had passion and it drove him to overcome the odds against him. Did he get discouraged along the way... yes... and yet, he never gave up. His passion kept him moving forward. He also had friends that helped keep that spark alive when challenges came. They reminded him of his passion. He has been an inspiration to thousands of people, all because of this thing called passion.

So my question/thought is this: "Where does one find passion?" "From where does passion come from?" "Where does one find both the vision and the strength to pursue that passion?" I once heard this saying and it's always stuck, "Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those".

So what things have caught my heart on this journey of life? And from where do I find the strength to pursue those things? And does pursuing one passion (raising my kids to love God and be happy, successful adults and doing so within a strong, happy marriage) mean putting other passions aside for awhile? Or is it possible to pursue more than one passion at a time? If God has placed gifts, dreams, desires within my heart... should I be pursuing them now, or are they just simmering there, waiting for the right time to pursue them? And when will the right time be? Will I know? Am I missing it?

Ultimately, I believe I need to remember to love God and love people... no matter what passion I may or not be pursing. If I am doing that, I believe I will be the most content at the end of my life. And yet right now, sometimes I want passion to arise up within me and give me another dream to pursue.

No comments: