Saturday, May 1, 2010

Race Day - Part I

I can hardly believe that in less than 2 hours I will actually be running my first race ever! I really have no hopes of actually placing...but I do have high hopes of finishing this journey I started! At the beginning of the year I made a commitment to run 3 times a week...not so much for my physical health, but rather for my emotional health. Ever winter I struggle thru some depression and this winter I made the commitment to exercise in hopes that it would help me through the winter months. And it did. Oh I still had some 'down' feelings/days, but all in all I really found that it helped my mood. I began just running in January, as far as I thought I could, then I'd walk. Then I discovered the couch to 5K program (a 9 week running program that gets you from the couch to a 5k race) and here I stand today at the end of those 9 weeks.

I am definitely glad Mike and I committed to do this together, as we helped keep each other motivated along the way. And I have so enjoyed that our run has meant built-in conversation to our days. More than the running itself, I have looked forward to spending the time with him and just talking about everyday stuff.

I am filled with excitement this morning, so close to accomplishing what I set out to do. Wishing I felt a little better, wishing I had slept a whole lot better, and thankful it's not raining!

No comments: